Saturday 15 July 2017

lens - Using SLR Lenses on DSLR Cameras


I'm just starting out with DLSR photography - I recently purchased a Sony A230 with the kit lens (18mm - 55mm). I know that the lens mount is compatible with Minolta lenses. These lenses were originally designed for film SLR cameras, and I'm wondering what impact that will have when I go to use them with my camera. Some websites advertise lenses for a Minolta mount that have the ominous warning NOT FOR DIGITAL SLRs.


What am I getting myself into when I buy older film SLR lenses? I have heard that the effective length of the lens changes due to the different sizes of the image sensors, but how can I calculate this? Are any other lens specifications, like aperature size, that are changed? Will autofocus still work? Will my camera be able to read the lens? What would happen if I bought the lens that is linked above - would it really not work with my camera or give horrible results?



Answer



Minolta, like Canon, changed their mount when they moved to AF in the 1980s. Only Minolta AF lenses can be used on Sony's Alpha mount.


The field of view will be cropped due to the fact that the sensor in your camera is smaller than the imaging size of film. So a 50mm lens will have the field of view of a 75mm lens, as the crop factor is 1.5.



Here's a good answer about crop factor in DSLRs


Aperture is unchanged. AF should work fine!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...