Monday 9 May 2016

cleaning - Should I clean my camera sensor, or take it to a professional?




Possible Duplicate:
Best way to clean the sensor on a digital SLR?



Can anyone offer me advice on how to clean my camera's sensor?



  • Should I do this myself, or take the camera to a professional?

  • Is it precarious, or easy with the right amount of care?


I have a Nikon D3000 that has a small dot off-center of the sensor. I believe it is dirt, and I would like to remove it. I'm tempted to use a cotton-bud, but I'm afraid that I might damage the sensor.



The dot appeared after a trip to a tropical area where the camera became wet. I took the lens off and a lot of moisture, and possibly some dirt, went into the camera. The lens became fogged-up.


When I returned from my trip I ran a hair dryer for (air only, without heat) 10 minutes through the battery compartment, believing this would circulate around and dry the camera. Consequently, I noticed many speckled dots around the sensor. I also believe there's a subtle but persistent haze when I look through the lens, but I could be wrong.


It's worth noting that the photos are fine, with no evidence of distortion or blurring. The camera is now dry and it's been months since this happened. But the dot on the sensor has been there since, like an itch I can't rub.



Answer



Take your camera to an authorized repair center and have it thoroughly cleaned. Sounds to me you've more than a small mote of dust in there, given where you've been and what happened I'd be worried about mold too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...