Wednesday 11 May 2016

Should I upgrade my Canon body or lens for upcoming travel?


Having trouble deciding what to do. I am about to go on my honeymoon to Borneo, with lots of jungle tours, and wildlife spotting. I have a Canon XS with a kit 18-55 and a 75-300 non IS. I don't use it a ton, but I want to get some great shots while over there. Sadly I use the auto features mostly, have not spent a ton of time learning.



That being said, I'm wondering if I should upgrade the lens, to maybe a 55-250IS, rent a 70-200 f/4 L series, upgrade to a t3i or something with better detail, or just throw in the towel and get a superzoom point an shoot, like the SX50 or something similar, and not have to worry about lugging the camera and multiple lenses.


Anyone have a good suggestion? Should I really be thinking about upgrading the body? The lens? Or my enthusiasm for DSLR shooting?


Thanks!



Answer



First question is, do you want to be able to shoot video? If you do, then upgrade to a camera body that supports video shooting. If you want the best quality overall though, going with an improved lens will make a significant improvement in image quality over any entry level body with an entry level kit lens. That said, the newer kit lenses are also much better than the older kit lenses, though I don't recall which kit lens comes on the t3i.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...