Saturday 7 May 2016

workflow - What is the typical post processing work flow for amateur photographers?


I love photography; I hate postprocessing.


Seeing that I am an amateur, not just by virtue of not getting paid for it, but also being rather new to the whole affair, I already am used to most of my shots just not being that great. While reading blogs and websites I get the impression that condensing ~100 frames in maybe a handful of shareworthy photos is not rare.


But even so, after a vacation quite a few photos have accrued. What is a common workflow to sort, post-process and share photographs for a beginner? What are common postprocessing steps? What kind of automations do people use?




Edit: I phrased the question generically so that it can be of use to as many people as possible. But I understand that without anything to go by, it might be a bit hard to answer. Therefore, while I own no paid-for software, this is what I use:




  • I have an EOS 500D crop camera as picture source and

  • I use RawTherapee for development,

  • GIMP for any touching up I need to do. (Which is not much, so far.)

  • DigiKam (in a VM) is my photo catalog.

  • My destination is my Flickr stream for the most part, sometimes I send photos directly to family and friends.


On the input side, I mostly am in practice mode; shooting whatever I can place in front of my lens. I have not yet picked a specialty. I would like to minimize time spent fine-tuning photos in software. These sort of "batch processes" are a part I realize is important, but not much fun to me.


I am quite computer-literate, so I am not afraid of piecing together tools that can be of use, but the more "OOTB" this can be, the more people who don't spend their life in front of a PC can benefit too. :) If spending money on something will make my life easier, I am quite willing to consider it. However as photography does not bring any income, something as large as Photoshop (for example) is somewhat hard to justify as an investment.



Answer




Really, the workflow shouldn't be that different between a serious amateur and a professional. If anything, professionals need to be the most efficient because of how many photos they take and how often they take them.


The first trick is to reduce the number of photos you have to look at. I take a quick pass through all my photos. I rapidly mark photos that are completely unacceptable for deletion and rate the remaining photos on a 1 to 5 scale based on the content (focus, composition, etc) rather than development settings (as long as they are within the range that can be fixed).


I mark average photos as 3, photos that have minor issues as 2s and photos that capture important things but have significant issues as 1s. On the other side, I label photos that came out better than average, but not quite outstanding as 4 and label the best of the best as 5.


After making my rating pass, I start triaging the images based on how much time I have available. I start with 5s and work down. First I make basic color corrections to however many images I feel like working on. This is generally a bulk process applied to multiple images at the same time to get white balance and exposure settings close, but not exact. This works well if you take multiple photos at the same place under similar lighting conditions.


In the next pass, which may not hit all the photos from my previous pass, I start and make detailed color and exposure corrections. I fix cropping issues in either this step or the previous depending on my mood.


Finally, I make a pass and do detailed touch up work on any photos from the 5s that I think particularly would benefit from it. I don't even always do this last step, but when I do it is usually very few of the images that get that level of treatment.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...