Friday 13 May 2016

equipment recommendation - Should I buy an L Lens for my crop camera before buying a full-frame body?


I currently have a 550D with 18-5mm kit lens + 55-250mm f4-5.6. I would like to start getting better gear to maybe look into opening up my own business. I'm getting different opinions from everyone.


Is it better to invest in a very good lens such as the 70-200mm L f2.8 IS II to use on the entry 550D (for photo journalism)? Or save up a little more to buy the full-frame 5D Mark 2 with a 24-105mm L f/4.0?


What would you guys do?



Answer



The 550 has enough quality for the images. So the bump in the road is your lens. I would go for a better quality lens and keep the 550 body. Then post-processing is your last stop on your way to good quality shots.


That said, the body is a tool, and if you feel that you cannot create good enough images that maybe your problem is the camera body and how it handle/feels like.


A last thing, there are great cameras between the 550 and the 5D. Cameras like 60D and 7D are great cameras, that will take you away from the plastic feeling of the 550.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...