Monday 23 May 2016

error - How can I stitch a panorama correctly if I moved the camera along the horizontal axis?


Here in Argentina, we have a very fancy street called "Lanin". All the houses and walls on that street have some kind of mosaic stuck to it, and it's very cool. It was made by a local artist who lives on that street.


Because to this piece of urban art is two blocks long, I've decided to make a panorama of it, by moving myself on an horizontal axis while taking photos. I mean, I took one photo, walked one step deeper along the street, took another photo, and so on.


When I tried to stitch it in AutoPano, the following deformed thing came out:


poorly-stitched example (High res here)


And the other side of the block:


another poorly-stitched example (High res here)



After this, I've learned about parallax error and why you have to avoid moving when making panoramas. I mean, there are a lot of connection errors on both images. Especially in the second one, the part with the corner is quite problematic to stitch because to as I moved, the perspective of the view changed a lot.


So, is there any way to stitch this kind of panorama correctly? Would this only work on plain walls?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...