Monday 16 May 2016

slr - How important is the viewfinder coverage percentage? (Figures like 95%; 100% for Canon 7D?)


I would like to know if the 100% viewfinder number mentioned in many cases to praise the Canon 7D and other similarly-priced SLRs is a really meaningful figure.


How does it actually affect the photographer's user experience?



Answer



In my experience, transitioning from 95% to 100% made a significant difference in my photography.


The 5% can hide a decent amount. Shooting a lot of wide-angle means that there can be a lot in the missing 5%. It's easy with my 10-22mm on my 7D to capture the foot of my tripod in that extra 5% and I'd rather not crop the image.


You can't easily judge what you're missing. Remember, lenses don't see the same way we do. Unlike the human eye, that 5% in the lens will change in size with every focal length change. Just in the studio setting, 85mm will maybe grab an inch of more background, while 30mm could grab a foot (not measured, but an example). You could be off your background and you wouldn't even know it until you see the image.


Information is power. Knowing what is in the extra 5% can only benefit you. Does it impact the user experience? Definitely. There are many things to consider when taking a photograph. Not having to worry about the extra 5% lets you focus on the other things. In nature photography, I had to always think about whether I would get that road in the extra 5%, potentially causing me to crop. In architecture, I need to know if I can keep empty space around the building or if the neighboring building will block it. With 100%, I can see that and simply move, whereas 95%, I'm chimping.



Make it right in the camera. For those saying that you can simply crop to the viewfinder, don't listen to them. Every tool that helps you capture the picture that you intended to capture is a benefit. A benefit that completely eliminates a potential need for post production is a big win.


Is it worth the money? That's the million dollar question. It's up to you.


An extra benefit that you may find more important than the extra 5% of viewfinder with the 7D is the brightness and size of the viewfinder itself. Composing in image in the 7D viewfinder is heaven compared to the 50D. This only pertains to the 7D, though. I don't know if this is common in 100% viewfinders.


My opinion? There are many other factors in a camera to consider besides 100% viewfinder. I will say this though, when you want to test out a camera, usually the first thing you do is pick it up and look through the viewfinder. I was sold based on the viewfinder alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...