Wednesday 18 May 2016

polarizer - Polarizing filter causing soft, hazy shots?


I'm having a problem with a polarizing filter that's I've used for years.


I have a Nikon D7000 w/18-200mm lens. I keep a UV filter on the lens, and on occasion I add a circular polarizer, which just recently began giving me images with exactly the opposite result that I'd expect.


Today for instance, I shot some beach scenes and later a waterfall against the blue sky. As a test due to some failed shots earlier in the week I tested a theory. I shot a few on a tripod with the polarizer. I turned it until the sky was deep blue and the glare was off the water. Looked great in the viewfinder.


I get home and the images look like I had the polarizer set 180 degrees out. They're hazy, soft and almost out of focus.



Now the test I mentioned was that I changed nothing but taking the filter off the lens and the shots look great. Clear, vibrant and crisp.


Compare both images: enter image description here enter image description here


So I ask, is it something I'm doing, Never had this issue until recently. Do polarizing filters go bad?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...