Monday 2 May 2016

lens - Moon photography



Hi I am a photography hoobyist. At the moment I am using a Nikon D3100 with the standard kit lens (18-55mm). I am interested in taking photos of the moon. I am debating whether to buy a 55-200mm lens or a 55-300mm lens. Which one would be better?



P.S I am on a tight budget and I am looking for a lens for personal use, not commercial.


Would appreciate any answers!


Thank you!



Answer



If you want to come anywhere close to filling the frame when photographing the moon focal length is everything. Get the longest focal length lens you can afford. Unless you can afford a 1000mm+ lens, you will still need to crop your images for the moon to fill most of the frame.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...