Friday 8 April 2016

How do I choose a macro lens for a Canon APS-C camera?


I have a Canon 40D and like taking macro shots sometimes, so I'm thinking of buying a macro lens. I'd also like the lens to double up as a portrait lens. I'm not a super serious photographer, so my budget is not huge, but I'm considering the Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 USM Macro Lens and the Canon EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro Lens. I also note that Sigma and Tamron have lenses in that focal range and price range.


So reasons I can think of to go for the 60mm would be:



  • smaller and lighter

  • probably a better focal length for portraits

  • bit cheaper


While the 100mm would be better for:




  • insect photography, as I could keep my distance a little better.


Are there other key factors to consider? Would you recommend one of the third party lenses as particularly good? Are there any of these lenses to avoid?



Answer



To throw in another opinion, I have EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro and it worked really great for me, both for macro and snapshot portraits of people around me (size also helps here). Review at photozone is also rather positive. I guess you'll be happy with whichever of those two you choose.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...