Wednesday 27 April 2016

film - Am I wrong to judge my exposure using my smartphone?


Context:


I recently purchased an Olympus OM-1 film camera. Upon receiving the camera, I realized the battery for the light meter was dead. I'm a (very) amateur photographer so, naturally, this is a problem for me. However, I had an idea. (For context, I've been shooting on ISO 200 film).


I own a Samsung Galaxy S8. The camera in this phone features a 'Pro Mode' which allows the user to manually adjust shutter speed, aperture and ISO and see the results live on screen, much like a DSLR.


Question:



If I set the ISO on my phone to 200 and set the aperture to the same width as what I have on the Olympus, will the correct shutter speed on the phone be the same as (or near to) the correct shutter speed on the Olympus?



Answer



In theory, this should work perfectly. The combination of (shutter speed, aperture, ISO) determines the amount of light which falls on the sensor (per unit area), so should be transferable between devices.


In practice, there are a couple of things which mean it might not quite work:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...