Saturday 16 April 2016

repair - How to elimitate light leakage in my Zenit-B SLR?


This question is related to Why is there a strange white spot on all of photos from my Zenit-B SLR?



I found that the problem is in the shutter. When it is cocked left shutter blind looks like that (the right one that is used while shutter is not cocked is fine):


shutter


Front view of shutter. Note that the special opaque coating (looks like a thin rubber) is dried and damaged at the right side causing a light leakage. enter image description here


That's why I get strange white spots on my photos. Now the question is how to repair it. Shutter replacement is not an option (I don't think that they are still produced).


I need something dark enough to block light and flexible enough to not to affect shutter operation.


Black marker didn't help (pretty naive, but some people advised it, had to try). Heared about glue with black ink. Any other suggestions?


P.S.: I know that in general case it is easier to buy new Zenit rather then repair it. But this breakage seems able to be easily fixed and this camera is dear to me as a memory.



Answer



I used black batik acrylic paint to strengthen shutter fabric. Now it seems to be opaque.


After a film developement I'll write if it helped.



UPDATE:


Today I've developed the film and thw solution worked perfectly. There is no light leakage now. For additional confidence I've covered damaged shutter with the second layer of paint.


Here is photo of repaired shutter. You can see painted area in the lower-left corner.


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...