Sunday 24 April 2016

darktable - Where do I turn to learn how to process images effectively?


Emphasis here on the word effectively.


As I've been digging through lots of Questions and Answers here, I've found lots of examples of astonishing results of image processing of RAW files like these. I've also seen plenty of discussion about the relative merits of RAW vs. JPEG, particularly vis-a-vis which one rules and which one drools.


I have Darktable, and I've browsed through its documentation, but it doesn't offer a lot. For example, the section on using the color correction module consists entirely of this:



color board



For split toning move the white dot to the desired highlight tint and then select a tint for shadows with the dark spot. For a simple global tint set both spots to the same color.


saturation


Use the saturation slider to correct the global saturation.



This doesn't really tell me anything I couldn't have gathered through 15 seconds of playing with the tool. It also doesn't help me understand how to use the tool to achieve the effects I want. I'd like to learn how to use this program effectively, instead of stupidly twiddling sliders until I get something that's sort of close to what I'm trying to achieve.


Just to clarify, I'm using this module as an example, but I'm not asking (here) specifically about this module. I'm looking for resources that will help me learn how the various modules impact my image, and how to use them to get the end result I want. At least as important, I'd like to learn how to look at my image, that I already know isn't quite right, and recognize how it isn't right, and what tool will allow me to fix it. Everything I've found so far is more or less a glorified tour of the program's UI.


So, to restate the question, where can I go to learn the artistic aspects of using software like this? I don't really need any help navigating the menus and understanding the user interface, but I need loads of help getting the results I see in my head.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...