Wednesday 13 April 2016

equipment protection - Gear for carrying and storing a DSLR on a backpacking trip?


I'm planning on going on a short backpacking trip at the end of this month and would like to take along my DSLR. What are some good options for me to carry and store my camera and a tripod if I'm also carrying around a big hiking backpack with me?


Specific to my situation, I'd like to consider cheaper options as I don't plan on backpacking enough to make a considerable investment.


Thanks guys!



Answer



Having the camera accessible is critically important to get a variety of shots along the way. Huge backpacks are not ideal for this. I used a Top-Loading zoom bag when I carried fewer lenses ;) This bag is quite cheap and will serve you in the future too, it comes in different sizes and colors.


The tripod should easily be able to be attached to your backpack. Below is good for a small one or on the side. Most backpacks have plenty of straps or at least loops where you can attach straps to hold additional items. If you use a Gorillapod SLR-Zoom, then it is even better to hook it somewhere you can reach. I often simply loop its legs around the camera bag strap and barely notice it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...