Saturday 30 May 2015

Photography and eye health


So I recently went and had an eye exam for the first time probably since i started doing photography on a serious kind of level. It was free and I had an hour to kill. In the past my eyesight has always been excellent, above average and i was better at seeing long distance than short distance (but no issue with short distance). Now however, it appears that my left eye, is slightly long-sighted and i have a slight delay in focusing on objects that are closer to me.


I generally spend a long time behind a computer, but i've done so for the past 15 years, in addition, i generally do most of my work at night and avoid sunlight where possible (in addition to wearing sunglasses).


I do find, that if i'm taking lots of shots the muscles in my face and around my eyes tire out and become quite sore. Additionally, long stints focusing intently when editing photos also often leaves my eyes a bit red as i forget to blink.


While i've heard of several warnings regarding photographing bright lights (the sun / lasers etc) with regards to damaging eyesight, i'm wondering if its possible that any damage has been done due to straining my eyes at night or just spending to long taking photos in a day?


I'm asking this here because its only one eye that appears to be affected and it roughly correlates with the timeframe of my photography endeavours. It may indeed be completely unrelated. I'd like to know, either way, if there's any possible issues with eye-health and photography and if there's anything I can do to reduce eye-strain when taking photos.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...