Tuesday 5 May 2015

lens - Between Nikon 18-55mm II and 50mm f/1.8, which suits my needs better?


I am an absolute beginner in serious photography. I'm a position to get a Nikon D70 body for $100 or so.


I've been researching lenses and I'm debating if I should get the one that originally came with the camera (18-55mm II) or a 50mm f/1.8. Like I said at the beginning, I really don't know enough yet to make an informed decision.


I plan on mostly taking portrait photos. Occasionally some outdoors shots, like park outings and such, nothing too fast-moving.



I'd like to keep my budget for the lens below $150.


If you need any more details, please let me know.



Answer



The 50mm F/1.8 is certainly best suited for portraits. Its bright aperture lets you shoot in lower light and allows for much more background blur as seen in classic portraits, because it separates the subject from the background and tends to remove distracting elements.


Honestly, I would not use the other one for anything. Getting a poor lens is the easiest way to cripple the performance of a DSLR.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...