Friday 31 January 2020

nikon - Will my SB-600 work off camera with any camera?


I own a Nikon SB-600 flash and no camera. Now, looking for a new camera, I want to know if I could trigger the flash from another non-Nikon camera body.


I never use it on camera and therefore I think I have two options for off camera triggering. 1. trigger by flash 2. trigger by a remote control device (e.g. Cactus or something cheap )


Questions:



  1. Will flash triggering work?

  2. can I put transmitter on, lets say panasonic camera and sb 600 receiver ?

  3. Can the flash be mounted on other camera brands?



Answer




You cannot trigger it by flash. The SB-600 does not have an optical slave mode. You can buy an inexpensive optical slave trigger though and trigger it with the built-in flash on your camera.


You may be able to mount it in the hotshoe of a non-Nikon body, but it may not fire. In fact, it's possible it could damage the camera. Nikon flashes use 12V trigger voltage, and some cameras, like Canon, use 6V). There is some information here - Strobe Trigger Voltages


You can certainly trigger the SB-600 using a radio trigger, such as the Cactus, from a non-Nikon body. Whatever trigger you choose, you just need to make sure it's compatible with both the flash and the camera. The Cactus is compatible with the SB-600.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...