Friday 17 January 2020

film - What do properly developed negatives look like?


In the first image is a roll of Fuji C-41 film that I developed in Caffenol for 18 minutes.


enter image description here


They appear blank, but there are images on them as shown in this image. (They came out as b/w negatives)



enter image description here


I am wondering what properly developed negatives look like, as I cannot see the pictures well unless I hold them up to a strong light, and if I underdeveloped or overdeveloped them.



Answer



I develop C41 with caffenol quite often. Your negative looks typical. What is your caffenol recipe? Depending on the recipe, 18 mins may be too long.


Updating answer from comment:


I'm sure you have checked out the Caffenol Cookbook. Assuming you are mixing them with 1L of water, the recipe you use is similar to CCM(rs). See "Caffenol - Volumetric" by Woll & Caradies in the Cookbook. 18 mins is too long. I would try 11-12 mins.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...