Wednesday 22 January 2020

focal length - Does the crop factor affect the field of view (FOV)?



I'm working on smartphone cameras. I want calculate Field Of View of different smartphone cameras using the formula : FOV = 2 arctan(SensorSize/2f) where:





  • f is the focal length




  • sensor size is the Height or Width or Diagonal of the sensor (in mm)




In doing some research, I've found that there is another parameter to take in consideration, which is the crop factor. When using the formula for FOV, should I apply the given f (focal length), or should I apply the effective focal length which is (focal length x crop factor)?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...