Monday 27 January 2020

equipment recommendation - Which lens should someone who enjoys the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 get next?


I bought a Canon 550D months ago, and at that point I chose the 50mm f/1.8 because it was super affordable and quite popular. I must say I've taken some really wonderful photos with it; mostly with some people in them.


I'd like to upgrade to a second lens that has built-in zoom to take wider pictures. For example, when being in Barcelona, I was unable to take a good shot of the Sagrada Familia because the building was not fitting inside my pics.


Also I would like to take some distant landscape.


What would be the best next lens to get that would be great and cheap like the 50mm f/1.8 but serve a different and complementary purpose?



Answer



Some logical recommendations by price:




If you want to focus on wide angle shots, you may be interested in the ultra wide angle Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, which would be suited for that type of photography. If you are interested primarily in long distance landscape shots, one of the fine 70-200mm lenses would be a great way to get into that.


To summarize, I think it is important to note that the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens provides a great value or bang for your buck. I am not aware of any other lens that really provides that great value for the money in that price range. You may be able to find something used or second hand that has a great value(utility) to you. The options above are great compliments to the lens you already have, but you have to start to make decisions on what you want out of the next lens, what price range, and what trade offs you are willing to make to achieve that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...