Saturday 11 January 2020

Lens cleaning pen - disappointed by results, is this working right?


I just got one of these for the first time, a lot of threads on here recommend them and they seem like a great idea. Bought a Nikon one from amazon for $8 and while I really like the brush it seems like the cleaner tool isn't really working.


I have a brand new lens that I used for a few days and after wiping off the dust I wanted to remove a little spec of water that had dried on it. When I use the cleaning tip end it didn't really do anything, so I fogged it up by breathing on the lens, still not much result but better. It seems like I was just using a micro fiber cloth without any cleaning solution. I tried breathing on it again and accidentally touched it with my lip (hehe) so now I had a larger mark to remove.


I kept using the cleaning pen, putting it into the cap and twisting to get the cleaning compound, and in the end I feel like it required way to much rubbing to get clean. And still when I look at in under a light at the right angle there are still spots where it seems the smudges were thinned out and wiped around until you couldn't see them anymore.


I also tried it some on my camera's LCD screen that had some big oily fingerprints and it was definitely just moving and spreading the prints around.


Should I be thrilled by this pen and see it remove fingerprints fairly effortlessly?



Answer



The lens cleaning pen isn't a single "you only need this" solution. Lens cleaning should ideally be handled in multiple steps:



  1. No-contact cleaning with a blower; I like Giottos rocket blowers.


  2. Minimal pressure, light contact cleaning, such as the brush in the lens pen.

  3. Dry contact cleaning, such as the lens pen.

  4. Wet cleaning solutions, such as methyl alcohol.


These are in an important order: they start with being able to clean the lightest problem (dust, hair) and escalate to the toughest problems (liquid spots). The corollary is that they are in an important order: the potential to be least damaging and escalate to the potential to be most damaging. (Using your lens pen or a wet cleaning solution to scrub sand off, for example, will likely damage the lens, but a blower will likely remove sand with no problem.)


If you've got a water spot, I would try the lens pen. Sometimes they come off pretty easily. But if they don't come off, you need to look for a wet cleaning solution.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...