Thursday 29 November 2018

image quality - What are good test shots for finding out the capabilities of a camera?



I have a range of cameras from a (frankly awful) kiddie camera to a hybrid (Olympus Pen) and I want to take some pictures to test their (comparative) limitations.


So I want to take the same photos with each camera, load them on to my computer, and be able to say: "This is clearly better than that" or "There's not a lot to choose between them" (so it's a rough comparison). Also, in the absolute: "Never use the kiddie camera for photographs that ..." (to be honest, I suspect that that one could end after the fifth word).


Thus my question: What sort of photographs should I be taking for this experiment, and what sort of feature will each photograph test?


To add a sniff of motivation, I bought the kiddie camera for (surprisingly enough) one of my kids to get a bit of practice with taking photographs. But it is absolutely awful and seems to only take reasonable pictures with lots of light and the subject an exact distance from the lens. I recently picked up a (very) cheap compact with the intention of swapping it for the kiddie camera (with suitable admonitions that this one can't be dropped) but I'd like to test it myself before handing it over as replacing a rubbish camera with a rubbish camera won't get me those highly coveted Daddy Points. So in this particular test, I want to compare those two with (maybe) the Olympus providing some sort of "gold" standard (I'm aware that by the standards of this site, the standard provided by the Olympus won't be quite gold, but then iron pyrites is underrated in my opinion). But I'm also interested in the wider question of taking test shots myself to compare cameras to learn more about what each one is capable of (or rather, to learn what each one is capable of when I'm taking the photos - which is why I'm not interested in online comparisons of the cameras).




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...