Thursday 8 November 2018

lightroom - How do I move deleted photos?


I imported some 2000 photos into Lightroom 5 on the Mac, and then removed most of the ones in them, bringing it down to 40 photos. I did this by selecting photos I didn't like, pressing the Delete button and selecting Remove (not Delete From Disk). These removed photos are still on the filesystem, taking up 30 GB. How do I move them into the Trash on the Mac? I want to permanently delete them.


I thought Lightroom has its own trash bin, and an Empty Trash option, like iPhoto does, but it doesn't seem to.



Is there a simpler workflow to use here? I want to go through my collection, remove files I don't want, press Cmd-Z to undo a remove if I accidentally removed something and, when I'm all done, permanently delete the removed files. Is there a simpler workflow for this that I can adopt in the future? Thanks.



Answer



The problem is that Lightroom does not know about these images, so it cannot do anything about it. Essentially you want to know which photos are not in Lightroom. I have no idea how to do that but I think this will work:


From Lightroom, select the folder or tree where these photos are and synchronize it. It will popup the import dialog, just continue the import as usual. As an extra precaution add a keyword during import, something like "DELETE_ME_AGAIN".


Once done, all these photos should appear under the Previous Import folder. From there see if you can do a Delete From Disk. If not, go to the library view and do it from there by selecting all images matching the "DELETE_ME_AGAIN" keyword.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...