Monday 14 May 2018

lighting - How do I improve the results of photos taken in a light-box?


I'm having real trouble taking professional looking photos of a product. I purchased a light-box and I am using my Nikon D40 but the results are just don't seem good enough.


I've also attempted to resolve the issue in Photoshop CS6 by cutting the background out but the magic wand tool just isn't working well and keeps selecting some parts of the bottle..



Image here:


enter image description here


This is what my setup looks like: (there is a light at the top too which has been cut out in the photo)


enter image description here



Answer



I think you really need more light. Don't be afraid to pump up the wattage there, you can use shutter speed and aperture to effect the exposure. My setup is fairly similar:


enter image description here


But the lights on the side are very bright and the softbox on top is even more so (it's a Westcott cheapie continuous light). That light is bright enough to really take the shadows down from the side lighting. You have to experiment though, move things around a bit to get the shadows where you want them and try to avoid hot sides. Notice that the sides of my panels don't have a circle from the light? Your light is harsh and harsh creates hard shadows and specular highlights.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...