Wednesday 23 May 2018

equipment protection - Do you need a solar filter for a wide-angle camera?


I'm trying to photograph the eclipse and we already have a solar filter for our telephoto lens. However, we have two cameras so we might as well use them. I've spent a fair amount of time searching Google, and this related question seems to be the closest thing I can find on the issue: Can the sun damage the camera sensor? Under what conditions?


Michael Clark's answer helps with the confusion I had about why you can take a picture of the sunset/sunrise with your camera directly, but it's a bit wishy-washy on whether I need a solar filter to not go blind/protect the camera.


Would I get a washed out photo on a wide angle lens without the solar filter?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...