Thursday 10 May 2018

equipment recommendation - Could I get a lens hood that suits 'all' lenses?


I understand what a lens hood does, and I've read several of the questions about them here on the site, but I am still left wondering whether I could get a lens hood that would work on both the lenses I have.



My equipment is a Canon 600D and a 18-55mm (and about to be a 70-300mm). I've read there could be problems with vignetting potentially if a lens hood were to be used on a 18mm focus as well as a 300mm focus.


Essentially what I'm asking is can I get just one lens hood for my kit, and if so what are the recommendations for sub £50?



Answer



Some lens hoods are an equal size, all the way round (such as for telephoto lenses) whereas others (for medium to wide lenses) protrude more at the top and bottom than they are wide, so I think the answer to your question is NO. There is no single lens hood that will fit all your lenses. The one for 18mm would not be suitable for 300mm.


That said, if cost is the issue, you can "make your own" very cheaply from card. Reference this web site for templates etc. Much cheaper!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...