Friday 19 May 2017

software - What are best practices for using Lightroom libraries?


How do you organize your lightroom library (libraries)?


Since I am a casual photographer, I have a single huge library with all my photos in it. Then I create smart collections to be able to find my photos faster.


For instance, I have a smart collection named Trips with the places I have been under it as sub-collections. Some of these photos are also tagged as Family, which is another collection.


My concern is that in a few years this collection will grow so much that the software will not perform so well anymore. But, if I split my libary into many libraries, I will have to hunt for the photos I am looking for.



What is your approach?




>> Also asked by Igor Oks >>


How do you use catalogs in Lightroom?


Or perhaps, how do you organize your photos in Lightroom 3?


I got a feeling that the way I do it is not very convenient.


The flow that I do on every new set of photos is:




  1. Copy the photos from the camera to a new folder on the HD (e.g. to C:\Photos\Bobs_bday_2010).





  2. Create a New Catalog, and save it to the same directory where the photos are.




  3. Import all photos from the directory to this catalog.




Does it make sense? Should I use catalogs for photos organization, or should I rather use something else? Should I create a new catalog for each new set of photos, and where to save all these catalogs?


Thank you!




Answer



Keep everything in one library. Lightroom 3 has overcome some of the past performance issues with large catalogs, so the benefits of having a good search ability dictate a single library.


I use a lot of Smart Collections that are based on metadata and workflow steps. I also create standard collections for each client job that I shoot.


Caption and keyword anything that's worth keeping.


Much like GMail showed the world that powerful search is better than a jillion manually-managed folders for email, good DAM tools like Lightroom or Aperture reveal that keywording and search is more efficient than manually managing collections and folders.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...