Wednesday 31 May 2017

depth of field - Big sensor and landscape photography, DoF


I've been an owner of point & shot cameras for some years. Now, I'm considering to move to bigger sensor cameras (4/3, asp-c) because I really hate the noise that small sensors produce on low light conditions/high iso settings.


My fear with bigger sensors is a narrower depth of field. I know this is fine for portrait, but I was thinking about landscape photography.


How does those sensor sizes behave for landscape photography? Can usually the automatic of the camera keep in focus all the scene?


Are low apertures usually needed? If so, is difraction usually a problem?



Thank you!



Answer



Landscape photography typically uses apertures at the sweet spot of the lens' sharpness which are usually narrow enough to allow for large Depth of Field(DoF), yet still wide enough to avoid problems with diffraction. Remember that the larger the pixel size of a sensor is, the narrower the Diffraction Limited Aperture will be. My 18MP APS-C camera has a DLA of f/6.9, my 21MP full frame camera has DLA of f/10.1. The best way to maximize DoF at middle apertures is to use the hyperfocal distance for focusing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...