Sunday 14 May 2017

depth of field - Can I get a shallow DOF using a kit lens?




Possible Duplicate:
How can I get dramatic shallow DOF with a kit lens?



Is it possible to generate shallow DOF with a "kit" lens, and how?


In my case, I have the Nikon D7000 with the 18-105mm f/3.5-/f5.6.


I am exploring my new camera and learning photography as I go. I have a few things in my head i want to learn how to do early and one of them is take images where the background is blurry behind a subject, so to make super nice portraits.


So far, all my initial shots have everything in focus. How do I get a shallow DOF effect? Or can I even do it with the kit lens?




Answer



I gave pretty much the same answer before, but here it is again for completeness. To minimise DOF and get the blurred background effect you should:




  • Use as long a focal length as possible.




  • Use a wide aperture low f/ number (but don't zoom out increase the f/ number as the actual lens opening gets no bigger)





  • Use as close a focussing distance as possible (but don't zoom out to get closer). Depth of field diminshes very quickly with focus distance, so much so that it becomes a major problem with macro photography getting a non blurred background (or subject!)




  • Compose so that the background is as far away as possible. The further away objects are from the focussing distance the blurrier they will be.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...