Wednesday 31 May 2017

preview - Why is my Nikon Coolpix S3100 showing "File contains no image data" when I try to view old photos?


I've got a Nikon Coolpix S3100 that is now showing:



File contains no image data



when I try to view some of the photos on the SD card from the camera. Viewing the photos on the computer shows the images just fine, and the other photos on the card appear OK so I'm 100% sure that the card isn't corrupted in any way.



Answer




A little research has revealed the cause of this problem.


The problem was only affecting those photos taken in portrait mode that had also been rotated on the computer to make them easier to view. By mistake I'd rotated them on the SD card rather than copy them first and rotate the copy (which I normally do). The Coolpix doesn't seem to store orientation data (reading the EXIF data shows "Normal" for the orientation regardless of the actual orientation of the photo) and it must look at the dimensions of the image and expect them to be particular values.


Rotating the image back to "landscape" makes it viewable on the camera again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...