Tuesday 9 May 2017

flash - How to recognize different lighting color temperatures?



I'm getting my first "real" flash soon, and I've been studying a bit about lighting techniques. However, the flash comes with little colored plastic covers to match the color of the environment's lighting, which has me wondering: how am I supposed to tell which one to use? I suspect I can't just keep relying on auto white balance.


Of course, I could just take test shots and adjust until I get it right. But is there a trick to determining whether the room I'm standing in is lit by tungsten lights vs. fluorescent (vs. any other stuff)? I don't feel like I can "see" what the temperature is--is this something that I just have to train my eyes to detect? If so, what should I be looking for?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...