Monday 8 May 2017

exposure - Does a viewfinder cover really make a difference?




Does a viewfinder cover really make a difference? I've heard opinions from people that they are essential for scenarios such as shooting long exposure pictures. I'm just wondering if it is only a slight difference or a major one.



Answer



Yes they do but so does your hand placed over the viewfinder.


To take this shot last week I had the sun behind me. Without covering the viewfinder I got a strong veil and very low contrast image. Unfortunately, my viewfinder cover was attached to strap I forgot to bring. Luckily my hands were free during the exposure, so I retook the shot and got a crisp constrasty image. The image you see was cropped to a 2:1 aspect ratio and resized for display but no other changes were made to it.


The different it makes is proportional to the amount of light and the exposure length. In this case it is a worst case scenario because it was bright light behind the camera and a 15s exposure (thanks to an ND400 filter).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...