Monday 1 May 2017

Should I upgrade my Canon Digital Rebel XTi?


My background


I purchased a Canon Digital Rebel XTi shortly after it came out in 2006. I didn't know much about photography, but since then I have taken 2 photography classes and purchased a few upgrades for the camera. I have learned a lot about photography and would like to think I am getting better at it. I was at Best Buy a while ago and played with the new Canon 60D - it was amazing. I've never used any other camera outside of my XTi - the 60D felt great, and from exploring the menus/controls it is obviously way better than my current camera.


Starting to look around...


I've been doing research for a while on the 60D and the T2i (probably the current version of the XTi when I got it) and then started wondering if there really is any sense in upgrading?



My gear:


Body:



Flash:



Lenses:



Typical Use:


I usually photograph people - mainly my kids, but I have done engagement and graduation photos for friends and family.


My Question:



Not being made of money, I don't want to upgrade just to have the newer model, but I would appreciate advice on this one.


Would I benefit by upgrading my camera body, or would it be better to get nicer lenses? Is the 60D too big of a step for me, or should I be looking lower or higher?


Thanks in advance!


Brian



Answer



Here is how I look at body upgrades (when budget is a factor): Upgrading makes sense if there are specific features that your current body lacks that would benefit you.


Said another way, is your body holding you back?


As an example: perhaps you do a lot of indoor, low-light event photography and the ISO range of your body is a hinderance. In that case, the high-iso abilities of the 60D might be worthwhile.


Or you find that you end up having to fumble around with menu settings a lot, and the streamlined menus of the 60D would save you a minute or two. Another good reason.


If you are looking to buy a body solely because it is newer, then you would probably be better off spending your money else where.



Now, because you do shoot some event photography, having a backup camera is definitely a musthave (of course you can just rent a spare body)


However, given the gear you have listed, I would prioritize upgrading that instead.


You are actually in a really good position because you have a selection of lenses that cover a nice focal range. Which lens do you goto more often than the others? That should be the lens you upgrade first.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...