Saturday 7 January 2017

levels - Is Lightroom Auto Tone very dodgy?


I don't know if it is just my taste, or is lightroom's auto levels like rolling a dice? Sometimes is makes subtle adjustments that do improve the visibility of highs and lows, but 50% of the time is turns the images extremely bright or dark.


It could be my screen - it is not calibrated - or my personal taste that differs from the core customers of Adobe. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a very to teach it how I like the balance? In machine vision cameras there's a setting to adjust what level should be mean for its auto exposure.


Another issue I find is that it adjusts too many parameters, which could explain the dodgy performance - it would be better if it only adjusted "exposure" and "brightness", to bring the histogram within reasonably bounds, from which the user can then tweak shadows, and highs (or save that in a preset).



I wish I could use auto exposure in my default preset, but its dodgy performance makes that impossible and I have to adjust exposure for all images individually.


Here are examples where it makes it very over exposed, or makes a dark image even darker:


exampels


And a more normal situation:


example2




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...