Tuesday 3 January 2017

equipment recommendation - What Canon lens would one use for Sartorialist-like street photography?


You probably know Scott Schuman and his blog (The Sartorialist). What kind of lens (that is not expensive) would you recommend for Canon 550D to achieve similar effect (in terms of DoF etc.)? I'm a newbie so I'm not sure how to properly interpret those photos' EXIF info. My guess is, that a similar effect can be achieved using 85mm f/1.8.


PS: Typical example (full body shot)



Update: Thank you guys for all the answers, it's much more clear for me right now. I think I'll try the Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens.



Answer



He's using a full-frame camera with a 85mm lens on a number of those shots.


So, in terms of APS-C (which yours is), a 50 or 55mm lens would give you a similar angle of view if you go the prime route, but I'm not sure if Canon makes a 55mm, though they have excellent 50mm lenses. If you go zoom, something like a Canon 24-70mm or 18-135mm would add some range. Anyways, that's my take.


Welcome to the site!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...