Monday 23 January 2017

How to repair when a DSLR was infected by computer worm or virus?



It happened to me just now. I thought at first it was my SD Card that was infected, so, I scanned it and even reformatted it, then it was okay. But when I inserted it to my DSLR, and took some shots, again, all the pictures were gone. So I decided to insert the SD card back to my laptop. My antivirus detected a worm on my memory card again. My fear was confirmed when I directly connected my DSLR to the computer. Is it okay to scan my DSLR with the antivirus?



Answer



It is likely that your computer is infected with a worm that automatically copies itself to removable media to try and spread. When you format the card, it may be briefly clean, but it would rapidly get reinfected by the worm. It is possible the worm only uploads itself to the card when inserted in the computer.


Try formatting the card, if virus scan then says it is clean, try ejecting it and simply plug it back in to the computer and see if it is still clean. Most likely it will not be clean after this reinsert.


It is theoretically possible for someone to write a virus that could infect a camera and try to worm on to other hosts via a memory card, but such a virus would be very VERY specialized and very elaborate. There is very little reason such a virus would be used in the wild unless it was trying to attack some kind of secure environment through a camera, so it is highly unlikely you have a virus on your camera.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...