Monday 30 January 2017

equipment recommendation - Can you recommend a long cross body strap?


I often walk around with my camera on the lookout for shots, but photography isn't the main thing I'm doing. I normally end up with the camera hanging off a shoulder (on the strap it came with), which isn't the most secure way of having the camera. The camera and lens would be too heavy to be comfortable just around my neck, and might bounce around whilst walking.


So what I'd like is to find a strap I can have across my body so the camera can sit to one side, with an arm over it to offer some protection. I'd also like it to work (ie be easy to raise to the eye) while wearing a rucksack over the top. Any recommendations?



I have a Canon 40D, in case straps aren't a generic thing.



Answer



I use the Black Rapid RS-4 strap, and I love it. I do a lot of street/travel photography, and the RS-4 works great. It really is quick to "draw" up to your eye and shoot.


There are a few downsides:



  • I keep the camera near waist/pocket level, so the camera will rub against my pocket

  • You need to be careful, so you don't knock your camera around things as you move.

  • Use the supplied connector to connect to the bottom of your camera, instead of any hooks that come with quick release plates.


After a few minutes of using a Black Rapid strap you'll get use to it and won't have any issues.



There is a company that makes a strap similar to the RS-4, but they ripped-off the design from Black Rapid (they started as off as a Black Rapid reseller). As a photographer who cares about IP and copyright infringement, I'd recommend buying black rapid over the knock-off.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...