Friday 27 January 2017

lightroom - What are the optimal JPEG settings for high-resolution Facebook photos?


With the current facebook photo uploader, what are the optimal settings for uploading high-resolution photos. I process my images in Adobe Lightroom.


I'm aware of a similar question asked in the past, but this question is specifically about uploading photos using the newer high-resolution photo uploader.



Answer




"To ensure that my photos display in the highest possible quality for display on Facebook, re-size your photo before you uploading"



The supported sizes are:


Regular photos 720 px, 960 px, 2048 px High Resolution



Cover photos 851 px by 315 px (keep cover photos under 100K to avoid Facebook compression)


(JPEG with an sRGB colour profile)


Any other size will be re-sized by Facebook. You also need to make sure to select the High Quality Option.


Source: https://www.facebook.com/help/photos/photo-viewer Expand "How can I make sure that my photos display in the highest possible quality?" link for more detail.


Personal notes:


I use Lightroom 4 where I have a custom export with auto image sizing for web set up with compression settings I am happy with. I don't go with the 2048 px because I don't want my online photos to be this large and I upload the same photos to facebook, flickr, 500px and my website so I just found a "happy" optimum size which works for me and diplays relatively fast in places that do not have fast internet connection.


My preferred "HQ" setting in LR4 is Short Edge: 900 px, resolution 96 PPI, standard screen sharpening.


It seems to work fine on Facebook. Take a look at my Fan Page. - all photos there are uploaded with the HQ setting on.


As a side note... As for the COVER photo, I believe that it needs to be exactly 851x315 and less then 100K in file size. (I also have an exporter in LR4 set up for just Facebook cover photo with the "Limit size to 100K" option set) This ensures crisp sharp cover photo image. I had several cover photos that did not comply with the standard and the cover page looked bad.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...