Tuesday 10 January 2017

composition - My attention gets repeatedly distracted by the elements needed for the context in this picture. Where am I going wrong?



I am posting this photo as example but I suggest the answerers to remain generalized.


I took this photo yesterday. Intension was to show the bonding between the father and the daughter as well as the scenic beauty of the location.


enter image description here


Now, I find that my attention does not remain focused on the people here, it gets repeatedly diverted to the trees on the left corner, flowers and green shrub in the front, and the overall greenery in the background.


I could have simply cropped off those distractions but then the picture will only contain the people and that won't be interesting to me. The other so called distractions tell me that they are in a garden or a forest, and they also prevent the subject from staying in the center.


I don't know if I am thinking too much.


If I had the choice to blur out the background then wouldn't that have resulted in blurring the context?




So, I'd like to know with different example photos how to decide whether there is too much context or too little context in a scene?



Answer




I think you are pushing yourself too much to have "context" on your photos. I have read your other posts and tried to comment on them too, but I will focus on this image.


The crop


It is obvious that you already made a "crop", because the image does not have the 3x2 proportion. So you already made 2 framing decisions, first when taking the shot, and again when you did the crop.


But a basic rule of composition is the rule of thirds. This is not carved in stone but helps a lot to feel the spaces. In my humble opinion your image lacks this visual equilibrium.


(I adjusted the levels and saturation of the image, I think it was oversaturated)


enter image description here


There is a context, yes, a pretty garden, but I am not sure there is a real situation (the father pointing at something).


You were trying to frame something that you could not frame (probably was a little more to the left, but we the viewers will never know), and you did not pay attention to the composition, the spaces.


Another point of attention


If there was actually something that you could frame then the story is different:



enter image description here


Now there is a reason to make that "forced" framing. The father and kid have a reason for not being as main subject, but the situation is.


Use a composition to tell a story


It is clear that you did not have a rabbit there. So don't force the framing.


It is different to tell a story than to tell the story. You are not making a documentary (probably yes, but that is not the point)


They are probably looking at the flowers, but they don't have that much weight on the story, they are behind a fence, trying not to disturb something... (that is why I think "oh there could be something else that is not in the frame)


Here is an example of how this rule of thirds would help you in the original framing. It is not important what they are looking at, or where they are, the important thing is that they are there.


enter image description here


The problem (IMO) was not "Is it too much context?" but a composition one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...