Tuesday 24 January 2017

troubleshooting - What caused dark areas around bright light in this cityscape shot?


I know a little about cameras since doing two courses, and so I set my camera on manual setting most of the time to take shots.


I took the following shot in New York of Manhattan at night. Because of the lack of light I used a wide aperture, and a slow shutter speed of 5 sec. (I used 100 ISO).


I rested the camera on a brick of the building as I didn't have a tripod with me at the time. The photo came out pretty well, but I notice that there are dark areas to the sky around the bright lights (especially noticeable around the spire of the building on the right), it became slightly more noticeable once I adjusted the levels in Photoshop.


Please can somebody tell me what causes this and if there is anyway to eliminate this from the photo (either using different camera settings or by adjusting the image in Photoshop)?


Here's a sample image from my site Manhattan at Night:



sample of problem -- click for more



Answer



If you have the RAW file from the shot, absolutely. Just pop it open in what ever RAW processor you use.


Active D-Lighting basically applies a slight HDR-like effect.


The effect should only be applied to the jpeg.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...