Thursday 6 August 2015

For a novice to flash, what color correction gels would be best to experiment with?


I recently purchased a Canon Speedlight 430EX II, and have been experimenting with the flash on my camera. I have also ordered a 6 foot off-camera flash cable and a bracket that will allow me to move the flash off camera and get some angle to the additional lighting. In my experimentation I've found that the flash really does produce very white light with a slight bluish tinge. This doesn't really work all that well for many of the shots I've experimented with, nor for some of the indoor photography I'll be doing for a customer soon here.


I'd like to experiment with gels for warming and cooling color, however I'm not really sure where to start. I noticed that there are a few cheap Strobist sample kits and starter kits, but many of the comments state that those gels are too thin for most Speedlights and leave a strip above and/or below the gel of unfiltered flash light. Are there any reasonably priced gel kits with both warming and cooling gels that are recommended for a beginner?




Answer



I have the Roscolux Swatchbook, and the gels fit my 430EX very well...little longer to allow for tape.


I find using a white card during the shoot and using it as the white reference in editing photos removes any tints, so I really only use gels to add interesting background effects. However, many swear by 1/4 and 1/8 CTOs.


Adding a shot to show the fit on the 430EX: these are the above mentioned Swatchbook samples, and I accidentally ripped the gel, but there is still plenty to cover the 430EX flash head. These may be too narrow for a 580EX:


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...