Friday 7 August 2015

raw - Why are my highlights purple?


I was shooting a subject that featured a lot of sunlight shining across a surface. In some of the photos, the sunlight appears to have a purple tinge to it. In others, the colours are more natural.


Compare this: f/5.6 1/125s ISO100 55mm


With this: f/16.0 1/60s ISO400 55mm


I'm pretty sure it isn't chromatic aberration because this isn't around the edges of the highlight area, it's the whole area. It looks like a sensor saturation issue to me.


EDIT: To clarify, I am using the same manual white balance settings for both.


EDIT: Sorry, I had put the wrong aperture and ISO for the second photo. I have corrected it now.


EDIT: I took a few photos with the camera settings as the first photo and they all had purple highlights. I also took a few at f/22 1/60s ISO800 and none of them had purple highlights. I'm guessing the difference is due to either the smaller aperture or the higher ISO.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...