Thursday 6 August 2015

low light - How can I focus quickly outdoors in the dark?


I was with my family at a seaside, late and in darkness. My nephew and niece were playing in the water and running around, and I wanted to take picture of them, but my autofocusing system was taking too long to focus. By the time the autofocus system focused on my nephew, they were already gone. I also had my flash on, so that I could freeze there motion.


Is there any way I could take a picture of them while they are playing in the dark?



Would it works to set up manual focus with broad depth of field? For instance, at 50mm, f/16, 10 feet, i get about 9 feet of depth of field.


I have a Nikon D7200 with the 18-140mm kit lens.



Answer



Your camera needs more light to focus. There are a few ways to add light in your situation:




  • Use a lens with a wider maximum aperture. Remember that metering and AF are done with the lens wide open. It isn't stopped down to the set aperture until the instant before the shutter opens. A fast 50mm f/1.8 lens is the probably the most budget conscious choice.




  • Use a flash (or wireless flash transmitter) that has an IR focus assist lamp. Although their effective range is somewhat limited, they can be effective when used at typical casual portrait distances.





  • Use a directional external light source such as a flashlight/hand torch to illuminate your subjects for focusing. With small children an assistant that can follow them with the beam of the light might come in very handy!




Additionally, most cameras' AF systems have center focus points that are more sensitive and more accurate with wide aperture lenses in low light. Manually selecting the center focus point may help increase the speed at which your existing lens can focus in marginal conditions.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...