Thursday 6 August 2015

lightroom - Can I embed existing JPEG's into DNG's as a preview?


Using CHDK with my Canon A550 I get DNG files that do not have an embedded preview image only a very small thumbnail (see this question). However, alongside the DNG a full resolution JPEG file is created by default. Can I somehow use that existing JPEG file as the DNG preview? Is there some kind of tool to take that file and embed it inside the DNG? If so, would that be faster than generating and embedding DNG previews via Lightroom?


The JPEG and DNG files have the same filename except for the extension.



Answer



I think you should be able to do it using "exiftool" --- I tested on a Linux PC, via commandline, and with a Sony ARW image, so your mileage may vary --- I have no DNG to test with.


The command is basically:



exiftool '-previewImage<=myown.jpg' test.arw

(the quotes are needed in Unix to prevent the shell interpretation of <=). I have a bit of problems with the orientation of the embedded preview, but probably you can work out a solution with a bit of testing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...