Saturday 29 August 2015

lens - What exactly is this light artifact/flare?


I have an old SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7 that I like to use with an adapter on my APS-C camera for portraits. It looks great, even though it has somewhat heavy CAs at f/1,7. On some backlit portraits, I get this curious artifact:


light artifact


I don't want to share the entire image as I haven't cleared it with my model yet. This photo was taken at sunset, the setting sun is visible in the image, so it shines directly into the lens, producing a flare ring and this light artifact. Here's another photo at a slightly different angle:


light artifact 2


It looks different, yet seems to be the same phenomenom.


I have never seen this type of flaring on newer lenses. The green hue seems to suggest it's some kind of combination of a flare and a Chromatic Abberation, if that makes sense? I was just wondering what causes this specific kind of flare/leak/artifact, if it has a name and in what (type of) lenses it occurs. Thank you!




Answer



That's just an ordinary flare. It is cat-eye shaped probably because it is reflected from the edge of the lens element - edge of the lens mechanically blocked part of the otherwise round shape. Green-reddish color is because of angle of light hitting lens elements. That same kind of flare can happen with any lens, you just need point light source near the edges of lens image circle - inside it, or just slightly outside, doesn't matter.


I have the same lens, and yes, wide-open it isn't the best, as expected from large-aperture old lenses. CAs are easily cleaned in post, and I've seen much worse CAs from much more expensive lenses, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...