Wednesday 20 November 2019

image quality - Lens with small scratches on the front element - how do they affect IQ?


I am looking to buy a CANON 28mm 1.8 EF lens. I found an offer, significantly discounted, of a lens with small scratches on the front element.


The offer is very tempting. Here is a photo posted by the seller:



Scratches on a lens


The scratches will probably affect my photos a bit. But how much exactly? Does anyone have experience with a similarly scratched lens?


I am an amateur and hobbyist, and I don't make money from my photography. I would use this lens as a 'normal' on my 60D, mostly for taking portrait photos of my family. I am getting this one because of the aperture (1.8), and I would be using it wide open most of the time.



Answer



Scratches in general have very little effect on image quality. You may have zones of slightly lower contrast due to the scratches and these areas may be slightly more prone to flare since its the lens coating which is most damaged.


The effect of scratches is inversely proportional to focus distance. The farther you focus, the more out of focus the ill-effects would be. Check out this extreme example. Using the aperture wide-open will blur-out the scratch more too but you may get more flaring.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...