Thursday 28 November 2019

nikon - Is the D90 worth the extra money for a beginner?


I am looking at getting a DSLR. I have a little experience with a film SLR but not much more than the basics. I plan to take a range of photo types.


My research has narrowed down the products to the Nikon D5000 and Nikon D90. On paper they look relativity similar with the main differences being a few more on body controls, the physical size and better kit lens of the D90.


My question is that are the differences worth the extra cost for a beginner will I out grow the D5000 too quickly?



Answer



Go to a physical shop and feel both cameras. While the advice in other answers is good (don't buy features you don't need), ergonomics are important, both size of the body and placement of the controls and just how it "feels". For example, I haven't seen a D5000, but I've handled a D40 and it felt like cheap junk. On the other hand, the D90 feels like a well-built machine. This is something you have to see/feel for yourself.


However, don't go to a camera shop, look at their stuff, and then leave and buy it online. That's unethical.


You might find it a bit more expensive to go this route, but the opportunity to make a better decision and your confidence in that decision is worth it IMO.


Finally, the kit lenses are just fine.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...