Wednesday 20 November 2019

flash - Can I use rear curtain sync in bulb mode?


I have an idea of shooting a low key photo of dancers using rear curtain sync and tracing them with continuous lights to get the classic trails of the dancers as well as a sharp frozen picture using flash along with the rear curtain sync feature.



Can I use bulb mode along with rear curtain sync so I don't have to time the exposure to their movement? This is of course not impossible without it. They are dancers after all so they can definitely sync to music and end up in the right spot at the right moment. It would however give me interesting possibilities if rear curting sync in bulb mode was possible.


I'm using Canon gear and Yongnuo 622C triggers if it helps.



Answer



Yes you can, but as far as I know, you cannot do it with the 622C alone. You can definitely do it with the addition of a 622C TX. I took a couple of my daughter doing exactly what you want to do.


A little spin


There is a description of how I did it with the photos on Flickr.


Full size


Another example


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...