Monday 20 May 2019

file management - Organize photos for many overlapping projects


I am working with a larger collection of photographs (~10,000) for my PhD thesis (in biology) and I am currently struggling with the organization of these. Sorry, if this question is in the wrong stackexchange community, I just thought that if someone people here should know about organization of photos.


My collection:


To elaborate a bit more on what I would like to achieve: I am currently doing my PhD working and need to take a lot of pictures to identify or protocol different plants. Since my project is divided in 4-5 different sub-projects (each with further sub-divisions) it is hard to keep an overview. Also, some pictures are of general interest for my project and so should be linked not only to the corresponding sub-project but as well to the whole. Additionally, I am awaiting more photos to pile up as this was only the first out of three field seasons...



My question:




  • How would you organize such as a photographic library?




  • What kind of folder structure would you suggest?




If I am searching in this forum (eg. here or here) or in any search engine, mostly ideas for daily life or professional pictures come up. But these use a very different kind of organization from what I need. For example, it is of little use to me to organize my pictures into people, places, events and dates as often suggested (eg. here).



Regarding folder structure, I thought about sort pictures corresponding to days (eg. 2019-06-23). But I am afraid this would get to messy!? Or maybe I could sort pictures into the sub-projects and use tags in the metadata to link them to other sub-projects?


Side notes:




  • I am running a Linux machine (Manjaro, specifically) and so far I tried out digiKam for organization of my library. But I guess the OS is only of secondary relevance here (ie. each OS should have at least some software to deal with this kind of problem).




  • For now I do not need to sync my files between devices.





  • Usually, I do not need to edit my photos. Only maybe 1-2 for the cover later...






No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...