Saturday 18 May 2019

software - How to Calibrate a Monitor Without Hardware


The question:


What is the best way to calibrate my monitor without hardware add-ons (and preferably free)?



Some More Info:


From what I have read what seems like the best way to calibrate my monitor is using a piece of hardware like a Spyder or something similar. Yet currently while it is on my list to buy it will not be an immediate purchase.


So it comes down to this, what is the best way to calibrate a monitor using software/my eyes. Also I understand this is not the best, however, my theory is that this is better than nothing at all.



Answer



There are software options to do this, either free or in your OS. They're not as ideal as a hardware solution and are a bit more fussy to complete, but they're a little better than not doing it at all.


For Windows: Quick Gamma


For Apple OS X: ColorSync


For Linux: A utility called "Monica" but all the current download options are a bust, so you'd have to hope you can find it in your distro.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...